Tuesday 30 October 2007

Who feels it, knows it

There are very few instances in my relationship with Merrise when I can honestly say we both agreed about something instantly, at the same time. That’s not to say that we disagree about everything, it’s just that we have a natural check and balance in our relationship. I am the impetuous one: I fall in love with an idea, a book, a piece of music, a glass of red wine at the slightest provocation. She is more circumspect, more grounded and wary. I fell in love with her face the first moment I saw her. She took months to even acknowledge that I existed.
Our first visit to the Beach House stands out, therefore, as one of those, rare and precious moments when we both agreed about something at precisely the same moment. We had to have this house.
That was three years ago.
But a love affair with a house is a very dangerous thing - especially when said house is 8,000 miles away from where you spend most of your time.

2 comments:

shells said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shells said...

DO NOT CHANGE THE COLOUR OF THE ROOF!

What you wrote about you and Mum meeting is beautiful ...feel all warm and cuddly...not like you at all...keep writing!!

x