Tuesday 11 December 2007

Of bats and rats

Yes, it was the container. History and I worked like dervishes to get everything under cover in case it rained. I have never felt so tired in my life. Finally left Jamaica on Saturday, after three days of lugging boxes around and packing everything away safely so that next time I can really get down to some serious work (painting walls, fixing taps, putting up curtains and so on). Managed two mini outings in the inflatable tender, but didn’t have time to try out the outboard, so I just rowed around the lagoon in the early morning stillness. The water was incredibly clear and it was possible to see all kinds of fish beneath the boat.
Also unpacked the wind chimes (which I had bought on a whim) because History says they are the best way of getting rid of bats. We’ve always had bats, but they seem to have become much bigger this time around. They love the almond tree on the terrace, and at night it’s quite entertaining to watch them swoop over the pool, dipping down to touch the water. However, now they’ve grown, the amount of bat poo splattering onto the tiles under the tree has become a real problem. It's also quite disturbing when an almond with all the green flesh eaten away suddenly drops like a stone out of the tree when you're sitting underneath. It's like the bats are trying to dive bomb us. History says the wind chimes disturb their radar, but I think I may have to ship out a few more to see if this approach works. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful: they live in the tree during the day, as far as I can ascertain.
Back in the UK I was faced with a rodent problem of a different sort: a rat has taken up residence in the engine compartment of my car. I opened the bonnet on Sunday night to find five tiny rats, obviously only a day or so old, nestling up to the engine block. I picked them out and thought that would be the end of the matter. But this morning I checked again, and there were another five babies, in the same spot. I am now a serial baby rat killer. Ten kills to my name and counting.

No comments: